Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wimbledon Champion Rafael Nadal Take Olympic Gold

Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal beats Fernando Gonzalez

Wimbledon Champion Rafael Nadal win the men's tennis gold in the Olympic by beating Chile's Fernando Gonzalez 6-3 7-6 6-3 and kept up a remarkable year for Spanish sport. The gold medal was the first ever for Spain in Olympic tennis.

"I just want to enjoy this moment because I'm having an unbelievable year," Nadal said. "It's more than my best dreams so I want to enjoy the moment. I know how difficult it is to win these things. Winning here for me is unbelievable."

Having eased to the first set, Nadal saved two set points in the second to force a tie-break, which he won 7-2.

Early breaks of serve in the third set gave Nadal vital momentum and from that point Gonzalez was on the back foot.

Nadal won it on his fourth match point, when Gonzalez's attempt to return his forehand drive went into the net.

Gonzalez added silver to his singles bronze and doubles gold from Athens 2004.

"The Olympics means really a lot to me," he said. "I'm little bit sad about the match, but all things considered, I'm really happy."

Nadal was already assured of taking over the number one ranking on Monday for the first time, ending Roger Federer's reign after four-and-a-half years.

Hel has won 38 of his past 39 matches, including victories over Federer in the finals at the French Open and Wimbledon.

Men's singles has traditionally been an upset-filled event at the Olympics, and Nadal is the first player ranked in the top five to win gold.

FYI - 2008 Beijing Olympic Sports

0 comments :

Hello! You can what with me. Let's Talk!